The Republic of Srpska
The Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Srpska
The Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Srpska was established on April 4, 1992 and that day is celebrated as the Police Day in the Republic of Srpska.
These three decades have been marked by numerous events, from participation in the Homeland Defence War, aftermath of the war and Ministry of the Interior transformation, police reform in BiH and attempts to transfer jurisdiction, reform of police education and training, equipping the police, carrying out significant operations with the purpose of countering crime to international cooperation in terms of cooperation with police agencies in other countries and participation of the Ministry members in United Nations Peacekeeping missions.
Our jubilee is also an opportunity to pay tribute to all the members of the Ministry who created the Ministry as it is today and who defended our Republic, especially the 782 fallen members of the Ministry of the Interior who built their lives in the foundations of the Republic. The central Memorial in Banja Luka was constructed in their memory, along with the memorial church of Saint Archangel Michael in the Zalužani Training Centre near Banja Luka, in the memory of the courage and the victim that they withstood during the Homeland Defense War from 1992 to 1995. They shall never be forgotten.
All these years, the priorities of the Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior remained the same: security of the citizens, protecting personal property, Constitution and constitutional order of the Republic of Srpska, countering crime and corruption and effective fight against terrorism. During the past few years, the Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior went through some crucial changes in terms of its organization that proved their purpose and justification in the times of unprecedented security challenges and global terrorist threats.
The Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior was and it shall remain the holder of true changes in the society and a true keeper of peace and order of all the Republic of Srpska citizens. In the past thirty years, we won the battle for our identity and became a guarantee of security and stability. We shall make efforts to continue doing so.
In cooperation with individuals and the community, and efficient use of available resources, the Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior protects the constitutional order, citizens and property, provides the rule of law, prevents, detects and investigates criminal offences, maintains public peace and order and contributes to traffic security.
As a modern, democratic, responsible and efficient police agency countering all forms of crime and illegal actions, the Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior guarantees the safety of the constitutional order, citizens, institutions and property. Acting as a modern and contemporary service of the citizen’s, it makes the Republic of Srpska a safe place to live in.
Values of the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Srpska are expressed in its legal and professional actions, respect of citizens’ human rights and freedoms, honesty and sincerity, fairness and kindness, partnership and work cooperation.
Jurisdiction of the Ministry
The Republic of Srpska Ministry of the Interior carries out the public administration activities referring to the protection against endangering the constitutional order and the security of the Republic of Srpska, protection of lives and personal security and other activities defined by the Law on Public Administration.
In accordance with the Law on Police and Internal Affairs, the activities of the Ministry include police assignments and other internal affairs.
Police activities include operational and expert activities that provide and secure:
- protection of the constitutional order from violent endangering and changing and the security of the Republic according to the law;
- protection of life and personal safety;
- protection of human rights and freedoms;
- protection of all kinds of property;
- prevention of criminal offences;
- detection of criminal and minor offences;
- finding and apprehending perpetrators of criminal and minor offences and bringing them to competent authorities;
- maintenance of public peace and order;
- protection of persons and facilities that require special protection;
- identification of persons, objects and clues using forensic methods;
- road traffic control and safety, specific activities regarding safety in other traffic areas;
- providing assistance for the purpose of eliminating consequences that endanger the safety of persons and property;
- providing assistance to other bodies;
- the right to public gathering in compliance with the law;
- control of trade in explosive materials, flammable liquids and gases;
- fire protection;
- control of transport of hazardous substances;
- control of movement of weapons and ammunition.
Other internal activities include:
- administrative and legal affairs;
- material, financial and property affairs;
- education and professional training, practice and seminars;
- activities related to agencies for safety of persons and property and private detective business;
- drafting of legal and sub-legal acts within the competence of internal affairs.
Modernization and re-organization
In its development throughout the history, the Ministry has transformed its organization several times and today it has a modern organization.
Out of the original eight elementary organizational units in the Ministry headquarters, that existed as centers and administrations, the Ministry today counts twenty-seven of them. We particularly point out the establishment of new organizational units: Administration for Protecting Persons and Buildings, Administration for Countering Terrorism and Extremism, Administration for Organized and Serious Crime, Administration for Police Support and Training Centre.
Additionally, the five original security centers that also acted as public security centers, were transformed inti police administrations in 2017. Since then, the Republic of Srpska territory is covered by ten police administrations and their establishment resulted in better control on the field and overview of the overall situation, and it additionally approached police work to citizens.